Thursday, October 23, 2008

Baby Bible Training...

How many times have you heard someone say that they struggle with prayer? Or with forgiveness? Judging others? Personally, these and many other "fleshly habits" are far too often on my "to confess" list.

I've been a Christian now for 6 years (on November 15th - thank You God!), and I am still struggling with basic things like trying to earn my salvation and when I fail, feeling guilty... prayer... self-righteous feelings when I've been wronged... forgiveness... greed... discontent... laziness... etc.

It has occurred to me on more than one occasion, that if I had dedicated ONE YEAR to learning how to master each of those temptations, that 6 OUT OF 7 of them would be off the list! Well, or at least, not nearly so high up on it.

I stumble often in my growth because my attention is everywhere. I am a mom, and I am used to a crazy and hectic life where multi-tasking is as much a neccesity as breathing. But unlike motherhood, my spiritual life is not dependent on keeping several different balls juggling in the air.

Jesus said that His yoke is easy and His burden is light. Yes! That's because my salvation is a gift from Him. I can trust Him to keep me safely in His hands (reserved for the heavenly kingdom) while I work on calmly following His lead... changing into His image.. one step at a time.

I'm not saying that there won't be lessons that come two or more at a time. Life is complex! But think about school, or job training. SOME SKILLS MUST BE LEARNED BEFORE OTHERS. I am not going to be able to master the deeper truths of the faith if I am still struggling with the basics.

I am finally going to try to apply this to myself and my kids... learning one skill at a time, under the strength and guidance of the Holy Spirit. I wonder what we will work on this year? I think maybe PRAYER. For one year (maybe more, maybe less), I'd like to concentrate most of our training on how, when, why, what, and where to pray, and practice this discipline that is so central to our faith! I want them to know God intimately, and to lean on Him, trust Him and hear His voice. And me too.

Its kind of freeing too, to think that I can BE STILL and know that HE is God. Maybe He'll have a different plan, or change my direction... great! Now I'll be quiet enough to be able to hear Him...

:) Good night ladies!

8 comments:

Christina said...

When I was young I purchased a plaque that says, "In quietness and in confidence shall be your strenght." It's a verse from Isaiah, though I don't remember the exact reference. I have it hanging above my son's crib now, and it's a good reminder to be still. Thank you for your encouragement again.

Lori of I'm no super Mom said...

BEAUTIFUL!! Isn't it wonderful to be able to share the gift of Christ to our children! I hope that you continue to grow in your Christianity and your family also! GOD bless your family!

Alice said...

Thank you for your sweet comments. So, today I have set up my follower site. I am a little slow on all the bells and whistles you can do with a blog site!!! Have a blessed weekend

Maggie said...

Prayer is the perfect choice to start with first... because it will help with every other obstacle that stands in your way later on!! Great post!

You had asked me about my blog page and if I did it myself. I actually had some help. I had my blog re-designed by Summer (when I first started blogging). Here's her link if you are interested: http://designsbysummer.blogspot.com. She has different packages you can choose from, and she works totally off the ideas you give her.

Since then, however, I have learned so much about the technical side of blogging that I could have probably done it on my own for free. There are some free backgrounds you can choose from at: http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com, then choose backgrounds. As for the header and side panel headers, you can create something yourself in Paint or Powerpoint, save them as JPG files, and then upload them in as pictures under the Layout section.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I will be glad to help you in anyway that I can! =)

God Bless!!

Tammie said...

♥ you can choose?

Tammie said...

i've been thinking about your post, and i wanted to explain my previous response.

imagine, if you will, a thirteen-year-old boy who is a bit on the small side. he is concerned that his growth isn't quite up to par, even though he is the size that God wants him to be and can adequately do all God has called him to do physically. but he's anxious about it, so he comes to his dad, and says, "dad, i'm worried that i'm not growing fast enough. i've figured out the problem. i haven't been focused enough in my growing. i've got a plan; for a year i'll focus on growing bones. after a year, i will probably have all the bone structure i need, so next year i'll focus on growing muscles. the year after that i'll focus on growing a bigger skin to fit over it all. then hair, then teeth. cool, huh?"

spiritual growth is organic too. God gives it to us, along with spiritual gifts that differ from individual to individual. you're not going to "look like" someone else spiritually because God has made us each unique. don't beat yourself if someone else prays more than you do, or reads the Bible more, etc.

ask God for the growth He is showing you that you need. He will surely give it to you, just like He gave you salvation.

grace and peace be to you, Rachel.

Spaceofgrace said...

Hi Tammy! Thanks for your sweet comments as always. While I completely agree with you about "organic" grwoth as a Christian, I also believe God has given us a responsibility to use our talents and gifts to our full potential. Some spiritual disciplines such as prayer and bible reading are things that we can work on, as I said under the strength and guidance of the Holy Spirit, and we do have the ability to choose and learn many skills. So its a partnership (sort of - God is wayyy bigger). If there were no choices at all, the bible would not exhort us as it does.
Love to you

Tammie said...

:) i certainly wouldn't question whether spiritual disciplines are necessary to spiritual growth. they are.

i do doubt that we can grow in one area at a time.

for example, prayer. "faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." so there you have prayer and Bible study being interdependent.

that's where the organic part comes in. i eat, i breath, i am active. so i grow stronger and healthier. i don't really understand how.

spiritually, i read my Bible regularly and attentively and i pray more or less continually about more or less everything. so i grow in grace and the knowledge of my God. i don't really understand how.

but here i am, increasingly free from sin--anxieties and anger and selfish ambition. i am more loving, joyful, peaceful, gentle, good, meek, faithful, patient, and under control. though saying this may sound boastful, it cannot be. if i didn't acknowledge the growth, i would be denying the work that God has done in my life.

Powered by WebRing.