Friday, October 10, 2008

The Blessing of Mentoring Moms and Grandmas

Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God. Titus 2:4-5

Grandmothers are a gift from God. Not only do they love their grandbabies and babysit for harried mothers and fathers, but they are given by the Lord to train us in his ways. Who else has been-there-done-that? Who else has wisdom from experience in raising decent children (you turned out ok didn't you? ;-))? Grandmothers are a gift from God.... I am very thankful for my mom and all that she gives to me and our family.

I know not all of us are blessed to have moms around in the sense of Titus 2. That's where the church comes in. There are many experienced and wise "grandmas" that God has gifted to the church, though sometimes it takes a bit of looking. I have learned SOOO much from the women of my congregation, one in particular who has loved me through difficult times and modelled for me the faith in so many avenues. I am very thankful.

When I had my first baby I was overwhelmed. I felt like I was thrown into the hugest responsibility ever without so much as a simple instruction manual (at that time I didn't know Jesus the way I do today). Teaching a child the faith and God's Word means that we have to have something to model for them - a true and abiding faith of our own. MOMS... lean on the moms God has given you in your midst... they are a treasure, and a lifeline.

TTYL!

1 comment:

Ms. Bar B: said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. It is very true that surrounding one's self with the right network is vital.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Powered by WebRing.