Wednesday, October 29, 2008

God's Word applied to a child's nightmares...

Not long ago, my sweet 5 year old boy was having nightmares. The poor thing would crawl into my bed every night around 1 am, and not want to go back to his own. When I would tuck him in, he would ask me if he could stay up because he "wasn't sleepy", even though he would have needed 2 clothespins to keep his eyelids open.

Finally he started telling me about the dreams he was having. :( At 5 years old, the world was just becoming real to him, and this was a wonderous, yet scary experience. So we turned to God's Word.

We found this verse - Proverbs 3:24, referring to the person who follows in God's ways:
"When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet."

God is so precious. He knows our every need, and the Book he gave was written even to calm the hearts of his smallest followers... His innocent children. My boy was so happy! He understood what the verse was saying. We wrote it on a big piece of paper and hung it up over his bed. Night after night, we said the verse and prayed for "sweet sleep" for his little mind. And God is faithful. And I am thankful.

Have you ever dreamed about Jesus?? I have. Twice. It is the most amazing experience ever. I dreamed once that I was being condemned by three judges whom I could not see, but sitting beside me was Jesus. He told me not to speak, but that He would speak for me. And I was saved. The most overpowering emotion through the whole dream was LOVE. And it stuck with me long after I woke up.

Another time I dreamed about Jesus being here on earth, and I was chasing Him down, trying to spend time with Him. I finally found Him after He got off a bus or something (the details are fuzzy) and it was myself and a small boy, walking with Him.. being with Him. Again, LOVE. AWE.

How I love my sweet Saviour!

One more story, not a dream but... I have always struggled with feeling accepted, and truly loved by God. One night I was finished tucking my children into bed and I was thinking about how much I truly love them not based on anything that they do... but just because they are who they are. I love them. It's just the simple truth. I walked to the bathroom and looked in the mirror and heard, almost audibly, in my spirit, "Then why don't you believe that I love you, beloved daughter?"

WOW. Can you imagine... God loves us, and loves His precious children, and gives to us His peace... His grace. Priceless.

Psalm 92: 1-3 says:
"Lord, it is good to praise you. Most High God, it is good to make music to honor you. It is good to sing every morning about your love. It is good to sing every night about how faithful you are."

Just writing these things stirs up my heart in gratitude and faith towards my God. And I will tell these stories and more to my children. They need to hear them. Keep talking to your little ones... faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God. Good night friends!

Love and prayers.

3 comments:

Christina said...

That's beautiful. Your posts often bring back such sweet memories of my parents and things they did with and for me during my growing up years. I remember them praying with me frequently, before sleep, when I woke up with growing pains, I think I even remember them praying with me about bad dreams I was having. May God give me wisdom to be a parent whose children remember things like that!

Maggie said...

Great post! My oldest had some nightmares when he was around five years old. It's so great that you can turn to God's Word for answers to your every need!!! =)

jennifersusan said...

I really enjoyed this post. It really hit home with me on several levels. Thank you!

Powered by WebRing.