Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Helping my kids to RELATE to the Bible...

What good is a head full of knowledge if you have no idea how to use it? What good is a memory verse perfectly recorded in my child's mind if he has no idea how to download it to real life? This is what I've been thinking about.

I'm trying to do some activities with our memory verses to make them real for my boys. We did this in our adult bible study tonight (which we host in our home weekly) and I think its a great idea for little ones:
  • We picked a verse to study. (1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.)
  • Then we each wrote on an index card one thing that we feel anxious about in our lives (for me it was worrying about proper communication among family members in the home).
  • Then we talked about it! What power does God have over the situation? Why does God care about it? And about me (you, us)?
  • Finally we prayed about it, asking God for help and for peace.
I don't think we can do this once and expect it to be done. It is an ongoing process, a way of relating to God. So we have committed to writing the verse out once daily, bringing the message to mind and prompting us to go to God with that particular struggle and others as well.

Repetition is important. Talking is important. Talk to your babies, explaining and unfolding God's Word to them in a way that they can understand and use it.

My 6 year old boy named his anxiety to me last week. He had no one to play with at recess time during school. AW. Break my heart. :( So we talked, and prayed, and his anxiety lessened as I lead my precious son to the One who can truly fix his problem. We did this several nights in a row, and today he had a playmate named Calvin. Thank You God. You are amazing.

No comments:

Powered by WebRing.