Sunday, October 5, 2008

Strange and Beautiful Christians

Ever get stopped in your tracks by something strange and beautiful? This Rose slowed my heartbeat today when I looked out into my garden. Seemingly overnight it grew several feet taller than the other plants and roses, high over the fence and stretching to the sky... almost as if searching for a glimpse of heaven.

I want my children to be show-stoppingly different and beautiful too. And to see things also from a different perspective than the rest of the world... like my rose, seeking heaven, seeing things from above - from God's point of view.

My husband talks often to my boys about what they put into their spirit through their eyes and ears. You know the song:

Oh be careful little eyes what you see.
Oh be careful little eyes what you see.
For the Father up above, is looking down in love.
Oh be careful little eyes what you see.

They talk about videos and movies and friends and basically everything. They need to know that what they see and hear will either help to shape them in the likeness of Christ... or it won't. I want my children to plant their roots on the Rock, feed on what is pure and grow tall and beautiful in God's eyes. And be strange and striking to those around them.

An activity that is great to do with your "mini-me's":

Go for a walk (or go to the library and read some books on interesting animals, etc) and look for the strange and beautiful. We bring a notebook with us and write down all the things we see that are unique and capture our attention. We might even take pictures. Then at home we talk about how God sees each thing we saw and what is special about it, and why being different is wonderful.

Children learn in so many ways, often visually and through play. Any sort of reinforcing activities are great to teach them about GOD.. especially if along the way, they get to learn how to delight in Him. For sure.. He is delightful!

Great are the works of the LORD;
they are pondered by all who delight in them.
Glorious and majestic are his deeds,
and his righteousness endures forever.
Psalm 11:2-3 NIV

No comments:

Powered by WebRing.