Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Anger, Depression and Christian Parenting

Which parent do you know who has never raised their voice to their child? Or lost it when one kept pushing their buttons? Which parent do you know who is happy all of the time? I say... it can't be done. However for many of us, anger and depression becomes the norm, rather than a once-in-a-while occurance, and affects our parenting in a negative way.

The Lord is willing to change us if we are willing to admit our powerlessness over sin. Sounds like I'm telling you to just give up doesn't it? Not at all. I'm suggesting that we stop trying to fix ourselves by our own willpower and let God fix us by His mighty power! This is the first step in any 12 step program. Why? Because it works.

If anger or depression has taken a foothold in your life, you no doubt have tried to change to no avail. You may do well for a while and then when you least expect it... bam! It's back again. The first step has to be that you admit that you are powerless over your tendancy to do the wrong thing, and turn your life over to the care and control of God.

Another saying in the 12 step world is this: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result. So if you are struggling with anger or depression, why not try something new?

Celebrate Recovery is a Christian 12 step program for all kinds of hurts, habits and hangups... addictions, compulsive eating, eating disorders, fear, anger, depression, anxiety, etc. If you would like loving Christian support to overcome what is causing you distress, visit their website and find a group near you. It's practical and it works! Celebrate Recovery Canada can be found --> here.

I am also reading a very good book right now called Mind Over Mood. It is very practical and teaches how to overcome strong moods that are unwanted and distressing, by changing the way you think. I highly recommend it for anyone who may be struggling. It is helping me tremendously.

I hope these two resources can be of help to many. My own battle with depression has been a long and difficult one, and when I reached the end of myself, there I found God... waiting to walk the journey for me - with me in His arms. So I say, give it up! God is waiting to pick it up!

Prayers,
Rachel

2 comments:

Sarah Dawn said...

Delighted to meet you! Just found your site via CSAHM. I just started this blogging adventure a few months ago, but continue to be amazed at the joy, encouragement, and faith that I find.

Keep writing, the world is reading.

Hugs from this missionary mommy,
Sarah Dawn

Christian Parenting said...

I have been looking for this kind of post that can really help me on my situation right now. I think this is a perfect article for me. Thank you for this post.

Powered by WebRing.